In this how to, we will guide you through how you can create aliases in your infoblox for your VMs.
- Licensed the SovLabs modules for Infoblox
- Have enabled Host Record creation in your SovLabs DNS configuration for infoblox. If you do not have host records created, the host records area will not work. Aliases are dependent on Host records.
Check / update your DNS configuration for host record creation
- In your deployments (1), on the left under components, place a check in SovLabs DNS configuration (2)
- On the right, locate your DNS profile for your setup and click on Actions (1) and select View Details (2)
- Confirm if there is a check box next to Create host records?:.. If there is not, you will need to have this enabled before you can proceed. Please speak to the team managing your infoblox to confirm the impact of this change in your environment.
Where the advanced feature is located
Note: I will assume you already have an infoblox IPAM Endpoint already configured and wish to add additional information
- In vRA, click on Deployments (1) then click on the filter (2)
- In the filter on the left, under components look for SovLabs Infoblox endpoint and place a check next to this item
- On the right side you will see your infoblox endpoint/s. In the actions drop down (1) for the endpoint and select Update Infoblox Endpoint (2)
- In the Infoblox Endpoint, click on Advanced
- Under advanced options you will see the different areas you can update and add values/attributes.
Adding in aliases to your host record in JSON format
Note: In this example we will add an alias to your host record using template engine so you can enter the alias through your blueprint.
Whilst in the advanced options, copy out the text from the Host Record template
The format we want to add into this will be in the following format
The full code block would be the following
- Copy this text back into your Host record template and click on Submit
- When you deploy your VM for example, on my blueprint I have 2 aliases that I defined myself. They are MyAlias1 and MyAlias2 and they are linked to property definitions that match the template engine text of myAliasProperty1 and myAliasProperty2.
When you look in your infoblox under DNS, you will see a host record is created and the data will have the IP and the aliases you have provided
NOTE: If you do not see any host records created, please make sure your infoblox DNS is configured to create a host record. If it is not , no aliases will be created.
Setting extensible attributes dynamically : https://sovlabs.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/6000225889-setting-extensible-attributes-dynamically-infoblox
SovLabs Infoblox IPAM : http://docs.sovlabs.com/latest/vRA/7.6/modules/ipam/infoblox-ipam/
SovLabs Infoblox DNS : http://docs.sovlabs.com/latest/vRA/7.6/modules/dns/infoblox-dns/